Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Rumination on Shakespeare

While this is something that I probably would not have chosen to watch if it wasn’t assigned to us, it actually was very interesting.  Something that really stood out while watching Shakespeare Behind Bars is how the inmates relate Shakespeare’s Tempest characters to their own lives. They see a lot of parallels that really make them think (and me as well since, as soon as they made the connections I had an Ah Ha moment).  As they are talking about the characters it almost seems like a big group therapy session is taking place.  An example is the scene between Red (Miranda) and Hal (Prospero).  Red is able to relate his character’s question regarding parentage to his own life experience.  He talks to the group about constantly asking who is father is.  He mentions that he was 15 when he found out who his father was.  When the director asks how old his character is you can really see that it dawns on him that she is exactly the same age.
It is apparent that being involved in this program is very important to each of the inmates.  They all look forward to it and put their very best into it.  The Warden looks upon this as an educational program and it certainly seems to have given the participants a sense of purpose. And yet, what else do they really have to look forward to?  It’s hard to picture that these men committed the type of crimes they openly admit to in this program.   I doubt that any of them would ever have gotten involved with something like this if they weren’t in prison, and that is really a shame.
Also adding to the impact of this documentary is that in between each interview with an inmate we were reminded of where these men are.  Scenes of the barb wire, the towers and the surrounding countryside, beyond the prison walls are shown throughout the documentary.   Shakespeare’s play takes place on an island, where Prospero and Miranda are isolated for 12 years.  The Director stated that the prison was like the island.  I have to say I did agree with that.  The scenes showing the prison walls certainly brought home that the actors weren’t going anywhere.  (By the way, not having to do with this, but did you ever notice how so many movies show the birds on the barbed wire??).
I was a little disappointed to not get to see more of their actual production of the play.  I was hoping that would be more of how this documentary ended.  I almost feel slighted, having watched all the preparation but not the actual show.

No comments:

Post a Comment